Friday, April 3, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sawtooth Sampler - Carrie Nation

This block is called Carrie Nation. After looking up Carrie Nation without adding "quilt block" to the search, I learned that Carrie A. Nation was a famous leader of the temperance movement best known for a big hatchet that she used to attack drinking establishments before prohibition became law.  I felt the urge to go pour a glass of wine to sip while I sewed, but I resisted the urge.
I feel like we've done a lot of triangles lately. This time I thought some nice simple squares would be nice.  You will need some strips to start for strip piecing.  I used light and dark purple for the small strips and medium and background for the large strips.
The large strips are cut 2 inches wide and should be at least 8 inches long.
The small strips are 1.25 inches wide and should be at least 10 inches long.
You will also need 4 squares of 2 inch background fabric.
Sew a 2 inch strip of background fabric to a 2 inch strip of medium purple.  Next sew the 1.25 inch strips of purple together.  Press the seams toward the dark fabric in both cases, making sure to keep the strip set straight during pressing.
Sub cutting comes next.  Cut the 2 inch strip set into 2 inch sections.  You will need 4 of these.
next sub cut the 1.25 inch strip set into 1.25 inch sections.  You will need 8 of these.
Now would be a good time to cut your 4 squares of 2 inch background fabric if you haven't yet.
Use to sub cut sections to make two large four patches and four small four patches.  The small 4 patches will combine with the 2 inch squares of background fabric to make more four patches.  Notice that all the dark purple squares line up along the diagonal.
Now you've got 4 four patches.  Combine them into another four patch and sew.
Here is your finished 6 inch block.
Use the Sawtooth Saw tutorial found here to add star points to your Carrie Nation block.
Don't forget to enter the drawing for the Vicki Welsh hand dyed purple fabrics that I used to make this block.  The giveaway post is here.  I'll draw tomorrow night at the end of ScrapHappy Saturday.  

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Very nice. I love how your colors worked so well together.

Nann said...

I'm having great fun with the RSC! The photo in my post shows the four blocks for my color sampler.

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful block. The purple is a fun block....if only I can get to the sewing room!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Another gorgeous block with a fascinating background/history. Thanks again for all you do.