Thursday, October 30, 2014

RSC Sampler - Road to Oklahoma

The last Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for the year will be light blue!  If you still need another color for December, it will be up to you to figure out what color is left in your scrap bin.  We haven't done anything with peach, burgundy, or light neutrals yet.  Any of those would be great choices to round out your collection.  Until then, my blue bin was still overflowing, so I'm working on the pastel end of the spectrum to empty it out a bit more.  I'm really hoping to start putting quilt tops together soon and use Christmas break to put in some time at the quilt frame.
This is a 16 patch, meaning it works on a grid of 2 inch units to make a 6 inch block.
Blue #1 (a light blue) = 4 squares
Blue #2 ( a darker blue) = 2 squares
Blue #5 (background color) = 6 squares
Now place your 2 inch strips of background and Blue #2 together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 4 HST units.
Sew your HST units together, press toward the dark and remove dog ears.
This block needs two subunits.  The first is a simple four patch of light and background.  The second is a little star point made from one dark square, one background square and two HST units.  Check the photo for fabric placement.  Make two of each four patch.
the 4 four patches will go together with the points of each star pointing toward the center and the light blue in a diagonal stripe down the middle
Sew the four patches together as shown.  This one isn't really a star until 4 blocks come together.  It would make a nice leader and ender project with all those 4 patches.  I'm thinking the light blues will add a nice transition to the final quilt so I'm not looking for big flashy blocks at this point.  

4 comments:

Jo said...

I feel like so much time has passed and I haven't joined in with your blocks. I have so much on the go. I think I just need to get some quilts finished.
This is a nice calm colour month

Scrappy quilter said...

I've never seen this one before however I like it. Can't wait to see what is up your sleeve for next year.

Katie Z. said...

This is a great color for me! I have oodles of blues, and will be happy to use more up before the end of the year!

Kate said...

I'm not sure if I'm doing the light blues, I used a lot of my blues earlier.