Thursday, May 5, 2011

Terracycled Binder Cover

I'm having my AP Environmental students do a terracyling project as a little change of pace after the big exam.  After putting some ideas together today to get them started, I was inspired to do a little project of my own. I had sewn a cover at some point in the past for the binder to use as a grade book, but it didn't survive the wash and I needed something new.  Check out the strategic pocket placement for pencils.  Seriously, how cute it that?


If you've ever cut up an old paper bag to cover a textbook, then you know just how to make a fabric cover for a binder.  The fabric gets cut to the right width and hemmed up.  It is then folded over at the ends and stitched along the edges so the binder can get slipped in.  This is the second one that I made, I accidentally sewed the pocket onto the back the first time.  Thankfully jeans have two pockets though, so the second time I paid more attention. 

5 comments:

Amanda said...

What a cute idea for a binder cover. Thought I'm not too sure what the difference is between terracycling and recycling.

Barb said...

Soooo very clever!!

Sue Daurio said...

what a great idea!!! I love it.

Andee said...

Very cool!

Caren Kristine said...

That is so cute. Jeans are one of my favorite "recycling" sources! They are so useful and sturdy.