Friday, February 18, 2011

Good-byes

When I saw my friend good friend at Girl Scout pickup yesterday she said she knew that I had been busy because I hadn't updated my blog lately. Today was my last day at work, which explains a lot of the hecticness. Leaving in the middle a school year is awkward of course, so people were peering over one shoulder before congratulating me on the new job and saying good-bye. My student wanted to have a party, so the morning was full of cakes and farewells.
Wednesday there was a weird schedule because of career day, so I took the opportunity to  visit the new school and meet my new students before the old teacher goes away.  It went very well.  The students all seem very polite and motivated and the facilities are amazing.  The teachers were also welcoming, though I'm sure they are concerned about the transition. 
I'm still trying to make sure all the paperwork gets done in time, even though I worked for the same school district 8 years ago, they want everything again so I've been spending afternoons working on all of that.  You'll all be relieved to know that I passed my drug testing and fingerprinting and that my teaching certificate has been accepted.  That just leaves government forms and official letters and lots of other tedious details that I won't bore you with.  I'll be sure to get it all sorted out ASAP though, as it's always nice to get paid. 
Then Anna decided to get sick and she shared with me.  Thankfully the urgent care clinic set me up with an antibiotic and something for my lungs and I'm feeling almost normal again.  The bug caught up with Sydney today and Kurt was able to stay home with her so that I didn't miss my last day at work.  Then this afternoon was my last day to teach hands on science for Anna's class.  The kids all made cards for me to read and chipped in to buy a cookie cake.  I promised them that I would hang all their cards up in my new classroom. 
I've slept the afternoon away already, so I'm thinking that I'll be awake for a while and might play with my red scraps for a bit.  I'm promising myself that I'll take some time out to sew a tiny bit this weekend. 
Monday is a student holiday and teacher workday for the public schools here.  Since Tuesday is my first official day of work I thought I would take the kids over and let them help me decorate my new room.  I've got some quilts to hang and a few books and supplies to settle in.  I'm sure I can find a bulletin board somewhere and let them hang up all my cards. 
I'm sorry for being out of touch recently.  Thank you all for your good wishes and congratulations.  I'm a bit behind on e-mail of course, but hoping to catch up as soon as things settle down a bit.  I'm not sure when that will be, but I'm just going to take things one day at a time for a while. 

9 comments:

Janet said...

I just want to say Congratulations on your new position. I hope things go very well for you. I have missed your posts, but I knew you were very busy. It must be extra hard to move in the middle of the school year. Take care of yourself. :)

Anita said...

Good luck in your new position. I'm so sorry you've been ill but am glad you're feeling better now.

Amanda said...

I'm not surprised that you caught the bug, being under a bit of stress will have made you more vulnerable. Best wishes for the new job. No need to reply to this one.

Angela said...

Sounds like a really busy and exciting time. Good luck with your new job. X

Barb said...

You have had alot going on...Glad the drug test and finger printing went well....HA!!

Hope you enjoy your new school and that everyone gets better soon.

Quilter Kathy said...

I have no idea how you do it all! So glad you're feeling better to tackle all this stress. Take good care.

Scrappy quilter said...

As the best as you transition to your new position. Hugs

Quilting By Celia said...

All thge best with your new position. I did wonder what happened when I hadn't seen the blogposts so I'm glad you're back.
Hope you get some time to sew this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job. Sounds like it will be a great one, and probably a lot of students who actually *want* to learn something.